John was born abt1863 at Dublin Royal Barracks, Ireland, to parents John, a soldier (1871), and Emily.
Before entering the ministry John worked as a joiner (1881). After leaving the PM ministry John became a Unitarian minister.
He married Katherine Susan Crabbe (1861-1936) in the summer of 1888 in the Ely Registration District, Cambridgeshire. Census returns and birth records identify seven children.
- Katherine May (1889-1966) – a private governess (1911); married Charles E Innes in 1914
- Duncan Cameron (1890-1977) – a clerk at Inland Revenue (1911); a conscientious objector in WW1
- Barnabas Hugh (1892-1940) – a journalist (1911); a hood bumper (1939)
- Philip Crabbe (1894-1986) – a printer compositor (1911); a minister of religion (1939)
- Zelia Madge (1896-1986) – married Victor A Callow, a minister (1939), in 1925
- Francis William (1899-1899)
- Gordon Wells (1901-1902)
John died on 5 June 1930 at Gainsborough, Lincolnshire.
- 1883 Wickhambrook
- 1886 Haverhill
- 1888 Chelmsford
- 1892 disappears
W Leary, Directory of Primitive Methodist Ministers and their Circuits, 1990
Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers