Joseph was born on 18 June 1841 at Abbots Ann, Hampshire, to parents William, who worked the land, and Blandina.
Census returns identify the following occupations for Joseph.
- 1861 painter & glazier
- 1871 Independent minister
- 1881 Independent minister
- 1891 Congregational minister
- 1901 Congregational minister
- 1911 Congregational minister retired
He married Mary Hannah (1847-1933) in late 1867 in the St Thomas Registration District, Devon. Census returns identify three children.
- Francis Joseph (1868-1942) – a journalist (1911) Saffron Walden
- Ernest (1873-1889)
- Sydney Alfred (1874-1903) – a bookseller’s assistant (1891)
Joseph died on 22 February 1917 at Newbury, Berkshire.
- 1863 Exeter & Exmouth
- 1864 Plymouth
- 1866 Canterbury
- 1868 Peterborough
- 1869 Saffron Walden
- 1870 disappears
- 1870-1890 Newton Abbot – Congregational minister
- 1890-1906 Leamington Spa, Spencer St
Surman Index id: 24375
W Leary, Directory of Primitive Methodist Ministers and their Circuits, 1990
Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers
Note: The birth record is in the surname Sellex. Later records spell the surname Sellicks.