Richard was born abt 1817 at Knightcote, Warwickshire. His father was also called Richard.
He married Mary Ann Whinn (1825-1859) in early 1850 in the Walsingham Registration District, Norfolk. Census returns identify four children.
- John George (1850-1939) – a farmer
- George Edward (1853-1927) – a labourer; moved to USA circa 1887
- Hannah Eliza (b1855)
- William Henry (b1856) – a clerk (1881); a farm labourer (1901)
After leaving the ministry, the 1861 records him at St. Peter, Thanet, Kent, working as a baker employing one man and one boy.
He married Bertha Fife (b abt1833) on 18 July 1861 at Sandwich, Kent. Birth records identify two children born in the UK before they emigrated to Canada.
- Eliza Ann (1862-1864)
- Jabez Onesiphorus (1863-1944) – a merchant (1901)
Census returns identify two further children born in Canada.
- Shadrack (b1865)
- Amy Amelia (b1869) – married John Treleaven Emmerton in 1896
In 1871 Richard was a farmer in Canada. By 1881 he was widowed and working as a shopkeeper.
- 1841 Wallingford
- 1842 Oxford
- 1843 Hertford
- 1847 Bridge Rule
- 1849 Fakenham
- 1850 Hadleigh
- 1852 Bury St Edmunds
- 1854 Docking
- 1856 Downham
- 1858 disappears
W Leary, Directory of Primitive Methodist Ministers and their Circuits, 1990
Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers