Samuel was born on 1 May 1831 at Silsden, Yorkshire, to parents Henry, a glazier, and Grace. He was baptised on 22 May 1831 at St James, Silsden.
Before entering the ministry, Samuel worked as snail maker.
He arrived in Australia on 19 January 1859 at Port Philip Bay on the ship, Planet.
Samuel married Elizabeth Smith (abt1834-1866) on 29 June 1857 at St Austell, Cornwall.Records identify five children.
- Elizabeth Priscilla (1858-1947) – married Walter James Parker
- Catherine Ann (abt1860-1939) – married Henry Thomas Hayman
- Louisa Ellen T (abt 1861-1936) – married William Goyen
- Angeline Tryphosa (abt1864-1936) – married James Henry Cain in 1889
- Amos (b abt1866)
He married Louisa Gillingham (abt1832-1912) in 1867. Records identify one child.
- Walter Hansford (abt1868-1904)
Samuel died on 31 May 1909 at Sydney, Victoria, Australia.
- 1853 Baldock
- 1855 St Austell
- 1857 Chatham
- 1859 Geelong, Australia
- 1860 Amhurst
- 1861 Tarnagulla
- 1867 Ballarat
- 1873 Campbellfield
- 1876 Creswick
- 1879 Book Steward
- 1886 Melbourne I
- 1890 Cent Fund Secretary
- 1892 Melbourne II
- 1893 Melbourne IX
- 1895 Melbourne III (S)
- 1910 disappears
W Leary, Directory of Primitive Methodist Ministers and their Circuits, 1990
Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers