Bryan, Sarah (nee Allard) (1837-1911)
Transcription of obituary published in the Primitive Methodist Magazine
Our Church at Clay Cross has sustained a very severe loss in the death of Mrs. Bryan, Oct. 17th, 1911. Her sweet and lovely character won universal regard and she is mourned by a large circle. She was born at Derby, Nov. 10th, 1837, and was the eldest daughter of Samuel and Charlotte Allard. United in marriage to Thos. M. Bryan, Clay Cross, in 1876, after much deliberation they decided to join the P.M. Church. Mr. Bryan is still our respected Society Steward.
In her personal character Mrs. Bryan was transparent as a sunbeam, apparently incapable of harbouring a wrong motive, or of concealing a thought for sinister purposes. Her deep attachment to the house of God was evidenced by her regular and punctual attendance at the various services and by her zeal and liberality in support of all its institutions. She was a good wife, an affectionate mother, a sincere friend.
Sarah was born on 10 November 1837 at Derby, Derbyshire, to parents Samuel, an upholsterer (1841), and Charlotte.
She married Thomas Marshall Bryan (1845-1920), a collector of local rates and taxes (1901), on 9 September 1866 at St Werburgh, Derby, Derbyshire. Census returns identify seven children.
- Mary (1866-1939) – a dressmaker (1891); married Frederick Anthony, a colliery deputy overman (1911), in 1894
- Marshall (1868-1942) – a colliery overground superintendent (1901)
- Kendal (1870-1951) – collector of King’s taxes (1911)
- Thomas (1871-1937) – colliery weigh man (1901)
- Gertrude Sarah (1875-1940) – married Robert Frederick Hirst, a chocolate confectionary commercial traveller (1911), in 1904
- Ethel (1877-1938) – married Robert Clare Robinson in 1901; an assistant school teacher (1911); married John Harry Crossland in 1921
- Emily Hester (1880-1947) – married James Hubert Merry, an elementary school teacher (1911), in 1907
Sarah died on 17 October 1911 at Clay Cross, Derbyshire.
Primitive Methodist Magazine 1912/498
Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers